- Brian Brutman, RPh, PharmD
- I am a clinical pharmacist currently doing freelance writing on various pharmacy topics. I graduated from Arnold and Marie Schwartz School of Pharmacy in 1988 with a bachelors degree in pharmacy. While practicing as a clinical pharmacist I obtained my Doctor of Pharmacy degree (PharmD) from the University of Florida in 2003.
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Daliresp® Risks May Outweigh Benefits
Daliresp® Risks May Outweigh BenefitsDaliresp (roflumilast) is new oral tablet for patients with severe chronic bronchitis. Daliresp (roflumilast) is the first in a new class of drugs called oral phosphodiesterase 4 inhibitors. It works by reducing lung inflammation. It's added to the usual bronchodilator (medications that open up the air passages in the lungs) therapy to decrease exacerbations, but only for severe, chronic bronchitis. That's because the modest benefit may not outweigh its risks. Daliresp® is linked to insomnia, weight loss, depression, and possibly suicide. There's also concern about a possible increased cancer risk, but this hasn't been proven. Patients should try maximizing bronchodilator use before trying Daliresp®. Patients should be warned to report any serious mood or behavioral changes while taking Daliresp®.
Source: Pharmacist's Letter
- ► 2013 (157)
- ► 2012 (374)
07/10 - 07/17
- Peppermint Eases Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Dangers of Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplements
- Coffee May Fight Lethal Prostate Cancer
- Instant Wart and Mole Remover® Taken Off Market
- No Link Seen Between Cell Phones And Brain tumors
- FDA Panel: Revoke Avastin®'s Breast Cancer Approva...
- Cephalosporins Drugs Losing Against Gonorrhea
- New Warning on Valproate Seizure Drugs in Pregnanc...
- Drug Stops HIV Among Heterosexual Couples
- Daliresp® Risks May Outweigh Benefits
- Boostrix®(Tdap) Vaccine Approved for Older Patient...
- The Danger of Generic-to-Generic Switches of Anti-...
- Alprazolam (Xanax®) Among Top Causes of Fatal Over...
- FDA Approves Lupron® Depot-6 Month 45mg Injection
- FDA Approves laVív® for "Smile Line" Wrinkles (Na...
- Rectiv® Approved for Chronic Anal Fissure Pain
- Alert: Tamiflu® Oral Suspension Labeling Change
- Some Slim Forte® Products Have Dangerous Undeclare...
- FDA Urges Reduced Doses for Anemia Drugs
- New Guidelines Put Focus on Vitamin D Deficiency
- Flu Shot May Lower Odds for Premature Delivery
- FDA Approves First Generic Levaquin® (levofloxacin...
- Avastin® (bevacizumab) Benefits Patients With Recu...
- Omega-3 Fats Linked to Lower Diabetes Risk
- ▼ 07/10 - 07/17 (24)